CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS
An Evening of Poetry will be held at the Visual Arts Center in Punta Gorda on Monday, March 12, 2018, at 7 p.m., in connection with the 11th Biennial National Art Exhibition. The exhibit opens on February 2, 2018, and runs through March 20, 2018.
We are inviting anyone who is interested in participating in the Evening of Poetry to write a poem inspired by one of the works of art on display in the exhibit and submit it for consideration.
Ten poems will be selected from those submitted by a committee chosen by the Visual Arts Center. Each of these poems will be read by the poet at the event on March 12. The poems will be selected anonymously, so it is important to follow the steps outlined below.
- View the exhibit (after Feb. 2) and choose a painting that will inspire your poem. (You may photograph only the artwork that you have chosen.)
- Poems must be in 12 pt. text in .doc or .docx format, and no more than 30 lines
To submit the poem, send an email to Nanette Crist at email@example.com with “Poetry” in the Subject line and two attachments:
- The first attachment with your identifying information: name, phone #, email address, and the poem title
- The second with the poem, including its title, the title of the painting in the exhibit and the artist’s name (not the poet’s name!)
- No identifying information about the poet may be on the poem itself, or the poem may be disqualified
- The deadline for submissions is March 1, 2018
- Those selected to participate in the reading will be notified by phone or email on or before March 6, 2018.
Any questions, please contact Dorothy Brooks at firstname.lastname@example.org or 941-661-4607.
By submitting your work, you agree that your poem may be used by the Visual Arts Center on its website, or on Facebook. All poems submitted will be available for viewing in a binder at the exhibit. A copy of the poem will be provided to the artist whose artwork inspired your writing. Care will be taken to give each poet proper credit.