Gulf Coast Writers Association (GCWA) is pleased to announce we will, once again, be participating in the upcoming Southwest Florida Reading Festival. The festival will take place outdoors on the Fort Myers Regional Library campus, located in downtown Fort Myers, on Saturday, March 4, 2023 from 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
The festival has a first-rate reputation with a diverse line-up of nationally acclaimed, bestselling authors, and consistently receives rave reviews from authors and attendees. You can learn more about this year’s activities, authors, and other information at https://readfest.org.
GCWA is sponsoring a booth and offering our author members one of the following opportunities to sell your books at this well-attended event:
1. In Person [Half Day or Full Day]: Attend in person (with your books) either in the morning (10:00 am – 1:00 pm) OR afternoon (1:00 pm – 4:00 pm), for $20.00; or for the full day (10:00 am – 4:00 pm) for $35.00.
2. Book Sales Only – GCWA will display and sell up to 20 of your books if you cannot attend in person. You will need to bring your books to the GCWA general meeting on February 18, 2023 or drop them off at the festival no later than 9:00 am the morning of the festival. Other arrangements can be made by contacting Christie Zarria at firstname.lastname@example.org. The cost for this service is $35.00, regardless of the number of books sold.
Based on our experience last year, display space will fill up quickly, so please contact Christie at email@example.com to REGISTER SOON! This is strictly on a first come, first serve basis for the benefit of GCWA members. If you are not a member, but would like to participate, please consider joining GCWA. PLEASE NOTE: The Reading Festival is NOT accepting individual author applications, so you must sign up with GCWA if you would like to participate.
A few guidelines:
- The booth is 10’ x 10’ and comes with one 8’ table and 2 chairs. We will provide another 6’ or 8’ table, a couple of smaller card tables, and some extra chairs in order to have more flexibility with our setup (#lessonslearnedlastyear). GCWA strongly suggests bringing your own chair just in case.
- As you can imagine, space is very limited, so we ask that you please limit participation to just yourself or one other person.
- Again, because of space, please do not bring anything other than books and a chair for yourself; we simply don’t have space for elaborate displays, posters, etc. Small easels and a small signage are ok.
- This is an outdoor event, so please check the weather and dress accordingly. There are restrooms and food and drink concessions within a reasonable walking distance, but you may also bring a small cooler with food/drink. Please wear comfortable shoes.
- Please refer to the Reading Festival Guidelines for other details or contact Christie with questions.
- If you’d like to volunteer to help setup or man the booth, please contact Christie.
Hope to see you there!
Tell your Hurricane Ian Story
We are writers. We endured a life-changing event. We need to write about it.
Each of us was impacted by the disaster of September 28, 2022. Gulf Coast Writers Association (GCWA) is gathering Storm Stories from members and the public for a book to be published on the anniversary of that awful day.
Where were you? How did you fare? What have you learned? Who became your hero? Write the story of your experience and join the chorus of those who will never forget.
Submission is easy. Use the “Online Submission Form” link provided below to upload your story. A committee of our members will review and edit submissions, and the anthology will be printed in time for the September anniversary.
Deadline for submissions is May 15, 2023. Click the “Online Submission Form” link listed below to submit your story to GCWA. Also, please feel free to invite your friends and neighbors to share their storm stories. This project is for everyone who has a Hurricane Ian story to tell. There is no age limit or word limit. Submitters must agree to editing by GCWA and accept that not all stories will be published in the anthology. The GCWA website will publish the names of the stories chosen to be printed by August 1, 2023.
You can also submit your story to our partner in this project, The Alliance for the Arts (artinlee.org). The Alliance is planning a month-long event during September including a Hurricane Ian-inspired art installation by Florida artists, documentary-style photography by famed local artist Kinfay Moroti, listening booths to hear oral story submissions, and our book of Storm Stories.
Tell your storm story. It needs to be told and remembered.
Online Submission Form
If you have questions please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Sponsored in partnership between GCWA and Alliance for the Arts
Members of Gulf Coast Writers Association (GCWA) have been invited to participate in the Bonita Springs Public Library “Local Author Meet & Greet” on April 1, 2023, from 1:00pm to 3:00pm. This is a joint initiative with the Friends of the Bonita Springs Library.
By reserving a table, you’ll be able to meet enthusiastic readers, discuss your writing, and offer your books for sale. The address of the Bonita Springs Public Library is 10560 Reynolds St., Bonita Springs, FL 34135.
Reservations are free of charge, but space is limited. If interested in participating, please respond soon to reserve your table. Should you be interested in sharing your table with another author, please include that in your reply.
Respond to Kimberly Christensen, Reference Librarian, Bonita Springs Public Library, office (239) 533-4864; email KChristensen@leegov.com
We encourage our members to participate in this event. Any opportunity to meet readers and give exposure to your work is positive. GCWA officers will also be there to represent our organization and support our authors.
The 2nd Annual Del Shores Foundation Writers Search is accepting scripts through the end of February. This contest is open to Southern LGBTQ+ screenwriters and playwrights. This could be an opportunity for Gulf Coast writers in other genres to spread their wings. Use the code “DSFFL” for free submission. See the graphic for further information.